Nikon 105 for butterfly collection

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
labalaba
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?
Re: Nikon APS-C for more DOF
In reply to TQGroup, 4 months ago

TQGroup wrote:

Thanks again for your thoughts. The issue of required DOF is still to be resolved. There are now 3 possible approaches (vide earlier post today re Museum's approach); 1. very high quality specimen photography with a unique identifier number, 2. high quality specimen photography with actual data card/s next to specimen and in focus, or 3. lower "cataloging" quality photos of specimens with data card/s in focus plus some very high specimen photos.

While I personally prefer approach "1", the data entry requirements of the vital capture data make options "2" and "3" very attractive to the owners of the collection.

Based on what I learned yesterday, I now plan to contact the relevant Museums in SE Asia to determine if they had a digitizing / cataloging system that we should "plug" into.

Morals of this developing story... (1) its the photographer who is responsible for putting the smile on everyone's face and (2) the customer/s usually do not know what they really want but they do know when they are satisfied/happy/delighted afterwards!

To get the data label in focus along with the specimen I think you will need some kind of stand or support that places the data label in exactly the same plane as the specimen.  Perhaps this is a prep job for your 'assistants'.  Either that or use a small sensor camera.  I don't think Fx>Dx will do it.

I did suspect already that the only reliable way to associate 10,000 pieces of data with specimens is to photograph them together.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow