Anyone know why

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone know why
In reply to jack Hoggard, 8 months ago

jack Hoggard wrote:

Amazon gives free 2-day shipping to Prime Members, which now costs $100/year. They charge taxes to those states where they have facilities.

-- hide signature --

jaxupra

Exactly. If they have a physical presence in your location they collect sales tax. They started this in New Jersey, where I live,  last summer so between that and raising the limit on free shipping from $25 to $35 they lost much of my business.

There is a small catch or work around that is important to understand. That is sometimes the purchased item is not from Amazon but another seller using amazon. That is why sometimes the prices can go up or down since if amazon does not the item in stock another seller might raise the price - happens a lot with new lenses and cameras when stock is limited. Anyway, my point is if you live in an area where amazon does not charge tax but the seller is located in your area/state, then they will add sales tax. So always double check.

BH is my go to camera store now, no tax and free shipping to NJ. but several years back Adorama in New York added a warehouse in NJ so that means I get taxed fro ordering from them.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow