Nikon 105 for butterfly collection

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
TQGroup
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
Re: 2 examples & R1C1 macro twin flash
In reply to dave gaines, 8 months ago

Great shots Dave and many thanks for doing all the R1/C1 research for me, its really appreciated!

As for the reward side, as the photographer I will retain copyright but I do not intend this to be a commercial proposition, nor am I even thinking about recovering my costs. It is about giving something back to the community at large and this collection has significant scientific value.

I've had discussions with The Australian Museum in Sydney and they are currently undertaking a project to digitize their collections of everything from insects to sea shells and including butterflies. They have developed a procedures manual and are using volunteers extensively. Their main interest seems to be capturing all the data associated with a specimen and less on the quality of photography. That is not my primary interest but it has us thinking!

For what it is worth to this photography forum, here is the link to their manual: http://australianmuseum.net.au/Uploads/Documents/22933/Specimen%20Training%20Compressed.pdf

Fortunately, I don't start shooting until early July in Kuala Lumpur so we have time to decide on the best way to associate the very valuable capture records with each specimen as well as making a call on just how many of the 10,000+ specimens really have to be shot in "coffee table book" quality.

Personally, I prefer to do it "right the first time" and FWIW I do not have great enthusiasm for the Museum's approach; even though I fully understand their compelling reasons for doing so as part of establishing an Australian continent-wide database that can be searched and interrogated at will by anyone so interested.

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow