Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,228Gear list
Like?
Impressive A7 dynamic range flexibility
5 months ago

With the A7 I use manual exposure, base ISO (assuming this is ISO 200) and raw files all the time. Then I brighten the files at post processing if/when needed.

From earlier tests with cameras like the A77 and A99 I know this is an excellent strategy for keeping all possible highlight detail. Noise level and shadow detail will remain the same as when using high or very high ISO settings, since these sensors are truly 'ISO free' (all exposure data including full dynamic range saved in the raw file).

Here are a few from yesterday and today, just playing around with the A7 with the Zeiss 35 mm f:2.8 lens. For many of the pictures the shadows are pushed a lot, still the results are impressive. I am surprised by the amount of shadow detail and the cleanness in the dark areas! A great sensor!

For the files I used Lightroom for processing and then Photoshop for minor adjustments and adding a white and black frame.

Nice tone range and nuances and great color - the files from this camera is easy to work with.

This is a single exposure and the shadows are brightened more than I normally would do. Still the picture looks great and the file quality is more than sufficient for large format prints.

Almost like a HDR image, still a single exposure. Ultra-clean shadows!

Here the shadows are brightened a lot, still everything looks clean with a lot of fine detail.

Two people agains a large evening sky.

People are smiling when I use the A7 - nice for snapshots!

-- hide signature --

So easy to be negative - so hard to be constructive!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow