Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bronxbombers4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207
Like?
Adobe Photoshop/Nvidia OpenCL bug messes up colors rendered to the screen
3 months ago

It seems that if you are running any reasonably current NVidia driver (no idea about much older versions) and using the most recent non-CC (no idea about CC versions) release of Adobe Photoshop and using monitor profiles that make use of certain tag types (I think it might be ones that use larger than trivial size tone response arrays; actually even with a fancier v4 profile from Dell it still happens, perhaps it happens when anything other than a trivial gamma setting is listed, not sure other than for some reason NEC SV II profiles seem to be immune while many or evne most others are not) and you select anything other than "Basic" on the Edit->Preferences->Performance->Graphics Processor Settings->Advanced Settings->Drawing Mode that you start getting blue-greenish color tints (kind of ugly tints at that) if you are not editing sRGB format images and the wider the gamut the image you are working on is stored in the more severe this blue-green tint seems to be. It is possible that you might have to be running Windows and perhaps even a specific version, no idea. I'm running Windows 7 64bit with all the latest updates.

Oddly, if you make it so you can drag the image around the PS screen, while dragging the image the color tint goes away and it looks normal! As soon as you stop dragging it the nasty tint pops back on.

If the monitor profile is ultra simple like the ones NEC SV II profiler makes you probably won't notice this issue, but as soon as the profile starts defining longer tone response rTRC,gTRC,bTRC elements that are more than trivial then the issue can appear it seems. I've seen the issue with profiles from xrite profiler, xrite's Dell Premiere Color profiler and even displaycalGUI/Argyll monitor profiles.

I'm not sure who is at fault. It might be Nvidia. It might be Adobe. For all I know Microsoft could have done something weird. My first guess is an Adobe bug, but there is a decent chance it could be Nvidia (and a very, very small chance it could be Microsoft).

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow