Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 5,869Gear list
Like?
Re: m3/4 mirrorless vs sony mirrorless
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 8 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I specifically said that not even f/2.8 often works indoors without some kind of light assist.

Interesting since so many of us use F/2.8 lenses all the time without a flash or other type of asistance.  Check the Canon and Nikon Forums too.  The Canikon F/2.8 zooms are a lot more popular than F/4 zooms for this reason.

Since OP wants to use only older Nikon lenses, then I would recomend the camera with stabilization.  It will allow much slower shutter speeds, and it is a great advantage in many, many situations.

Canon 70-200/4 is VERY popular.

Have you noticed how there are more F/2.8 70-200 lenses and they are even more popular despite their higher prices?  I am sure this is due partially to them working better indoors. Tamron, Sigma, and Sony all sell multilpe versions of F/2.8 70-200 zooms but no F/4s.  Canon and Nikon sell a couple versions of the F/2.8 (with IS) while they only make one F/4 with IS.

Beercan (Minolta 70-210/4) is also a very popular lens among Sony shooters.

It is not as popular as other lenses and you can find it pretty cheap.  Most people who can afford it move up to the F/2.8 zooms like the 80-200 or many 70-200s.  Sony chose not to make the F/4 beercan lens for A mount but did use Minolta's 70-200 F/2.8 design.  Again, people don't like using the F/4 indoors or on low light and would rather have the F/2.8 which gives them more options.  Sony now has improved the F/2.8 zoom but still makes no F/4 version for A mount. They also kept Minotla IBIS and don't put IS in lenses because of cost, weight and size considerations.  They have stated in the past the IBIS is superior which I agree.  For the OP, a camera IBIS is the way to go.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow