bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,861
Like?
Re: So why not go back to film?
In reply to Doss, 5 months ago

Doss wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Doss wrote:

The desire to have the ability to manually focus is reflected in the recent implentation of mirrorless pixel peeping. On AF SLRs the viewfinder is 'crippled' - or perhaps I should say optimised - for AF (it's all about personal perspective). I'm not being a luddite here - I welcome improvements but autofocus over my ability to manually focus isn't one. As well as being quicker, other advantages to MF = no errors with foreground branches, or back-focusing or hunting.

You could just get a Canon, which still have interchangeable focussing screens. Come to think of it, present digital Canons still have a whole load in common with film Canons (at least the EOS ones) and those were successful simply because

<SOME>

people preferred them to the old style mechanical ones.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Tru Bob, but I don't want an EOS - not even if it's EXACTLY a digital version of a film one. Indeed the design we don't like didn't happen with digtial - it happened with early EOS (actually Pentax was the first guilty party to put buttons instead of dials on a camera!)

I had the first ever EOS, the 650 - it's a very well worked out interface. In some ways the mode dial was a step back - there is a reason that the top end DSLRs don't use them. To change mode with one, you almost have to take the camera from your eye to switch mode, with the button and control wheel, you don't. Similarly the shutter speed on the top plate isn't a great idea, it's only there because that is where the shutter mech puts it on a horizontal roller blind shutter, but it's not a great place for adjustment. Actually, my old Nikkormat (or the OM-1) with the shutter speed round the lens throat is a better idea, by Canon's invention of the control wheel (first with the T90) is even better. Those first electronic control wheel SLRs were single wheel, but still more controllable than the classic arrangement.

The Pentax buttons (on the ME Super as I remember) were always a bit of a kludge, not placed in a sensible place and not well thought out.

Whilst I don't doubt EOS are great cameras, they still lack the split-image non-darkened viewfinder and the ability to attach old manual lenses with an aperture ring (again, something I could control faster than using the 'new' design).

You can fit a split image screen in an EOS. In fact I have one in my old 350D (not officially swappable unlike the higher end cameras).

I think the idea being proposed is a digital SLR styled on a 'slim with knobs' design SLR rather than a 'handgrip and button' design.

Yes, I know it is. It's just not such a good design. The two wheel SLR works much better than the traditional layout which just has the controls where the clockwork puts them, instead of where the ands need them. So, design a camera like that, you restrict the market to the traditionalists if that is its only advantage. The Df sells not just because of its control layout (which is frankly rather silly) and retro looks (which are frankly rather phony) but also in large part because it's the cheapest way to access the D4s sensor which has its own aficionados.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yuckNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow