Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,208Gear list
Like?
To Jkim7.
In reply to Jkim7, 4 months ago

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm pretty set on getting an A6000, and from what I understand mirror less has pretty much caught up with DSLRs. Especially with the AF of the A6000, wouldn't an A6000 be just as good as a D5300?

Yes, for many things.  Many initial findings on the A6000 say the AF is incredibly fast and accurate.

Is there any reason why I should prefer a D5300 over it?

If AF speed is your sole criteria, No.

It's just that I still see so many people buy t5i's and D5300s and entry level APS-C DSLRs.

Canon is purposefully not pushing Mirrorless (not wanting to cannibalize DSLR sales), Nikon has chosen a smaller 1" sensor for it's Mirrorless. Many equate SLR to goodness, many of those same people also equate more megapixels to goodness (this comes from 8yrs of camera sales experience). Luckily for those people, those cameras you mentioned are very nice cameras that will take a nice picture.

Now, to mention a few other things from your other posts...

You've mentioned a few times that you are looking for a small camera for travel. In one instance you mentioned that you did not want a DSLR

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53425063

"My requirements are reasonably straightforward (I think). I want something compact and portable (so no FF or DSLR). IQ is important,.... Fast AF is nice, but not critical. I do tend to like manual controls..."

In your other posts you've considered the A6000, X-E2, E-M10 (briefly), RX100 II, X-T1. Generally it seems you like SLR features and IQ, but want it in a smaller package. If that's true, then you will be able to get that in any of the cameras listed above that you've posted about with the exception of the RX100 (it is very good, but not the equal of the others).

Now, Lets go back to one of your questions: (since there hasn't been enough argument over this already)

Is there any reason why I should prefer a D5300 over it [A6000]?

Yes, there are, I will list some reasons, please understand this will not be a complete list by any means.

Larger camera sometimes feels more secure in the hand.
Lenses: Some lenses are cheaper. More lenses, period. More lens types: Tilt-shift, Macro, Long Telephoto, F/1.4 (but many of these are extremely expensive)
Battery Life is longer
Some prefer OVF
GPS built in (Finally)
In camera raw processing & jpeg retouch
Basic kit lenses are better. 18-55 and 18-140 are better than than Sony's 16-50 or 18-55.
Good inexpensive kit zooms (I like the Nikon 55-200VR more than the Sony 55-210, but I've seen good shots from the Sony)

Conversely, are there any reasons (again, not a complete list) why you should prefer an A6000 over the D5300?

Faster AF (especially in video)
AF zones that covers more of the frame (92%)
Faster Continuous Shooting
Significantly Smaller Body
Smaller lenses (70-200/4 exceptioned)
Some Prefer EVF
OSS on Fast Primes & Wide Angle lenses (extremely handy for video too)
Features: (Wireless Flash, Sweep Panorama, HDR (3 photos vs 2), DRO (I like it better than ADL), 5 Frame Bracketing, NFC)
Enthusiast level lenses equal or better on Sony, IMO.
• 16-70/4 vs 16-85
• 24/1.8 vs 24/1.4
• 35/1.8 OSS vs 35/1.8
• 50/1.8 OSS vs 50/1.8
• 18-200 SEL vs 18-200 or 18-300
Can use Sony A-Mount and Canon EF mount lenses with Adapters & AF, can use thousands of other lenses with adapters in MF)

Which is going to be better, is a hard thing to say for sure. For me, the A6000 with a few of the lenses listed above would suit my needs far better than anything I can get from Canon, Nikon, or Pentax. For someone like Greg AA, he probably has completely different needs and requirements for which a DSLR and other lenses will be perfect for him.  Arguing about "better" is pointless because of the subjective and personal nature of each individuals needs.

Some things you should consider:
How much gear do you want to carry?
Roughly, what range(s) do you think you need for lenses? ultra wide, wide, telephoto, medium but fast, macro, etc?
What features matter most to you and which camera has more of those features? If it's the SLR, that's great, nothing wrong with that.
How much can you spend? Ultimately this may send you one way verses another.
Can you try out each in a store? I know the A6000 is coming soon, but I would still try them out, side by side if possible. Also, if possible, take as many test shots as you can from each.

In the end your decision, which ever you choose is the right one... because you are choosing the camera for you, not Greg or me.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow