Do I really need Raw

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
SeanU
Senior MemberPosts: 2,052
Like?
Re: Do I really need Raw
In reply to John Beavin, 3 months ago

Raw is the digital negative, ooc jpegs are the processed prints. If you are happy with your cameras rendering of jpegs, don't sweat too much about raw. I will suggest that if you do a lot of post processing, RAW will give you some advantages white balance adjusting, some highlight recovery, and a little bit of "future proofing" if someone comes up with new raw processing methods. Even if you decide not to shoot raw, tools like LightRoom offer up a nice way to organize, tag, edit your images if you have a large collection.

If you shoot jpeg and like to post process, I'd suggest shooting with a neutral tone curve. On Panasonic cameras, start with "natural"... turn down the contrast, sharpening and noise reduction. This will usually help prevent clipping in the shadows and highlights that can happen with more aggressive settings. The images will look flatter and have less pop out of the camera, but will have more leeway when editing.

Sean

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow