Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
SVPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Re: D4X this Fall
In reply to Maji, 6 months ago

Maji wrote:

SVPhotography wrote:

I am not sure there will be a D4x when Canon folded their 1Ds and 1D lines into the 1Dx series. Nikon and Canon like to follow each other very closely.

Plus the market for a $8K+ high MP pro body is small to begin with and like you said the lenses are starting to fall behind the sensors.

Medium format prices are started to come down as well. The Pentax 645D is rumoured to get a refresh with the new Sony 50 MP - 44.0 x 33.0mm sensor at $9-10K?

If you had a choice between:

a 54MP - 36 mm × 24 mm sensor vs:

a 50MP – 44 mm x 33 mm sensor

I don’t see much of a market left for a D4x.

Maji wrote:

If you upsize the current 24MPx DX sensors, then you end up with around 54MPx on FX. So, presumably, Nikon may release a 54MPx FX sensor camera as its flagship. As for the resolving ability of top lenses, I think you should look at Roger Ciccala's blog at lensrentals.

It is indeed a niche market for the high MPx D4x type of body. Along with the MPX and a top grade pro body, a great AF and perhaps 16bit RAW may be another reason for the buyers who need/want/afford this kind of camera. Also FX format and F-mount offers wider choice of glass. Different strokes for different folks anyway.

Sure the F-mount has more lenses but like you said - most of them cannot take advantage of the 50 MP+ resolution. At that point - you may as well look at a new system with lenses that can take advantage of the extra resolution.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow