Nasty audio static from T2i using USB connection...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
whitfield g
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Nasty audio static from T2i using USB connection...
3 months ago

Hi guys,

I'm finally starting the recording process for a professional program that I'm creating and have performed successful tests using the following setup:

Computer (for software control) -> USB cable -> T2i USB jack
Computer (as power source) -> USB mic -> T2i headphone jack

This setup worked just fine last week, I was able to perform tests with solid video and audio. But last night, when setting everything up again in preparation for filming today, I encountered a nasty reverberating static issue that sounds like an erratic helicopter. You can hear a simple example here.

After a lot of troubleshooting, I have narrowed it down to the USB cable connected to the camera. If the camera isn't USB-connected to the computer, the problem isn't there under any other configuration. If the camera is USB-connected, it is always present, even if I'm recording manually via the button on the back of the camera (which is how the example above was created) and even when I'm not using the external mic. No external power sources are near the USB cable when this happens, it's just a wire between devices.

I can do this work without the computer connection, but it's going to make my job a helluva lot harder if I can't use the computer to manage the shooting (record/pause, focus, download recordings, etc.).

Has anyone seen (heard) anything like this before? Could it just be that neither of my USB cables are of sufficient quality? I believe that one of them came with the camera (which I bought used a year ago), but I'm not positive.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow