Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Daleroy
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?
5DIII and Sigma 180/2.8 New Macro
5 months ago

I was out yesterday for the first time to check out a new lens I just bought.

I had the hood on and it was an overcast day. After a few shots and checking the camera LCD it was obvious there was a halo appearing on in the center of the frame. So I did some experimenting.

The halo would appear at f/2.8 and gradually disappear as I closed donw the aperture. It would be almost gone by f/4 and certainly gone by f/5.6.

The tone of the bg did not seem to make a difference as to whether or not a halo appeared.

When I got home and downloaded the files I could not see the halos in LR5 when looking at the RAW file. When opened as a TIFF in CS6 again no halo. Also no halo in ACR nor as a coverted JPEG.

When I look at the batch of files in Windows Explorer again I can see the halos and have attached an iphone photo of a computer screen.

In this attached photo the top right CR2 file#9673 the halo is quite visible. IN the second row left same photo 9673 but now a TIF there is no halo.

Of course my concern is do I have a faulty lens which needs returning but I can't tell if it is the lens.

So I wondered if it is the camera generated JPEG and if anyone here can help provide an explanation.

I have also started a thread in the macro forum with a couple different photos but I am leaning towards the camera jpeg.

Thanks,

Dave

-- hide signature --

daleroy@smugmug.com

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow