ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
amd111
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
k-50 w/18-135 vs D5200 w/18-140? for active kids / sports
8 months ago

Hello,

I’m a DSLR newbie and I had a pleasure to play with Nikon d5200 w/18-135 for about a month.
I really liked it the size of it, much better to handle than Nikon 7xxx series. Plenty of features to learn.
With the 18-140mm glass and decent d5200 ISO performance and some help from PP I was able to take pictures of my boys playing hockey in the hockey rinks (with a very poor lightning). I returned the camera thinking to get d5300, and I got caught in Nikon annual price craziness. So now I’m waiting for prices to drop a little.

M y wife is anti-DSLR so the toy would be strictly for me, as she doesn’t see need for it. She is happy with our Canon S100 p&s.

However I need something for my active boys (6 and 9 years old), sports (hockey and outdoor soccer), school and social events…

M good dslreports friend suggested Pentax k-50 w/18-135 lens. The big plus is waterproof aspect if I ever needed. Also it is a little cheaper than D5300. I don’t need 24mp and I’m sure 16mb rez would be good enough. The video on D5200 was not so good, mainly due to its slow AF, so I don’t really care about it, I can always carry my s100 in the pocket for video. I’m just interested in taking pictures.

However after reading some reviews/comments, I got a feeling K-50 is not great for fast / sports action. Is this true? How would you compare IQ/PQ between Nikon d5x00 and K-50?

Is there a good/cheap equivalent lens for Pentax as Nikon 1.8G 35mm? It would be for a low-light / indoor events shots?

Since 18-135mm is WR do I still need to buy Clear Filter to protect lens? What is recommended?

Overall for my needs should even consider K-50? Or I should save more pennies and go for Nikon D5300 w/18-140mm?

Thanks in advance for your input/help/advise…

Thanks,
Martin

amd111's gear list:amd111's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL
Kodak Pixpro S-1 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Pentax K-50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow