Panasonic GF3 and 100-300 lens in St. Petersburg

Started 6 months ago | Photos thread
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic GF3 and 100-300 lens in St. Petersburg
In reply to Electriq, 6 months ago

Electriq wrote:

Thank you very much for detailed comments!

I carefully looked at your images and read all of the comments.

Although I've never been to St Petersburg, I envy you, living there and making the decision to capture the reality of the city, not just the subjects that "photographers" flock towards.... this touristy stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Petersburg#Cityscape

To me, capturing what others do not see is a worthy challenge for a creative photographer.

I am recent convert to the hobby and think that Yaelle and Sergei gave you excellent advice.  Some of the other well-intentioned advice was questionable.  It is important to use pp as an aid to improving a well-composed, well-exposed image of an interesting subject  NOT to "recover" inadequate images.

A suggestion from an old guy who is learning to use a camera to capture what strikes him as interesting:

When you are out and about with your camera and a scene strikes you ...

• Discipline yourself to say exactly what captures your attention in the scene ... a minaret above a busy street, a  wall of varying architecture, a pair of domes, a statue etc .... then position yourself, select the lens, compose the image, set the camera and get it .... using all of the above to help the viewer see what captured your attention in the scene.

Helping the viewer see what excited you is important (as we all have different life experiences which affect our vision).

After a little while the discipline mentioned above will become quite automatic and an exciting part of making the photograph.  When you see the results in postprocessing you'll remember what "grabbed" you,  guiding your pp objectives.

Most important, though, is to keep shooting what engages you ... and to continue developing your skills in sharing your excitement with others.

Good luck on a journey with a good start!

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow