Warning: A3000 emits a fake shutter sound that can't be disabled

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Helen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,874
Like?
Re: Back to A3000 shutter sound, if we can…
In reply to 2Grant, 4 months ago

2Grant wrote:

If the A3000 sound can't be disabled in settings/software, what are the solutions, then?

Pull camera apart and disconnect wires? Not so desirable while under warranty.

Anyone tried blocking the speaker holes? Blu-tack? Glue? Might be able to argue that it doesn't void the warranty?? but sounds less intrusive.

The A3000 shutter sound so loud and fake, it's a deal breaker for me. The advantage of the camera is how light it is in the hand, but the shutter sound shakes the whole camera so badly - taking a panorama is like trying to pan a vibrator. I can't see how the sound doesn't affect the stabilisation.

Any serious suggestions? Please…

Pity this didn't rate a mention in any of the reviews. It certainly puts the photographer front and centre in any situation. Hardly the quiet observer of any human event - my heart goes out to that photographer trying to shoot the funeral.

Only part of the sound is the fake sound - the vibration and the major part of the sound is the mechanical shutter (a vertical-running focal plane unit) and that is common to most mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras.  Most are equally as loud, some more so.

However, a positive is that it doesn't (and cannot) affect the stabiliser in normal shooting (I guess it is possible in sweep panoramic shooting as you suggest though, or in continous sequences, though the A3000 has a fairly low maximum continuous fps which ironically is probably helpful in both cases with respect to this possibility).  The reason normal, single-shot shooting will be fine is that the A3000 is permanently in EFCS mode (electronic front curtain shutter), so there is no physical shutter activity at the beginning of an exposure, only to end it.

Some of the equivalent models from other manufacturers do offer silent shooting options, but there is often a downside too.  Most current Panasonic models have very sharp-sounding, loud conventional focal plane shutters (without EFCS too), but have the option of going fully-electronic (and silent) - though it prevents the use of flash, and can cause horizontal banding at the "wrong" shutter speeds under modern artificial lighting (plus a couple of other provisos).  The tiny Panasonic GM1 is different as it actually has a very quiet (i.e. far quieter than any other focal plane, verging on inaudible in a non-silent location) permanent EFCS shutter which is seamlessly combined with a fully-electronic one (with slightly lessened but still existing provisos, compared with the other Panasonics, and the quiet mechanical shutter has its own limitations, such as a maximum flash sync of 1/50).   Nikon's 1 System cameras all offer all-electronic shutters which CAN be used with flash (up to 1/60 only) and do not band under electric light for some reason; the V series models also have the option of a conventional but fairly quiet shutter too, whilst the J and S models have no physical shutter whatsoever.  Fuji and Olympus don't yet have silent shutter options, or even EFCS (except for a recently-introduced new firmware feature for the most expensive Olympus, the E-M1) and as far as I know, nor do Samsung, though some of their shutters are nicely subdued, similar-sounding to the Nikon V models.  The Canon EOS M is pretty quiet in the conventional shutter scale of things, with permanent EFCS but no silent option, and the Pentax K-01 doesn't have EFCS or silent, and is pretty loud what with its screw-drive AF lenses etc.  The tiny Pentax Q series cameras have very quiet leaf shutters in some lenses, whilst shutterless "Toy" lenses use silent electronic shuttering, with the usual downsides (flash will sync, but only at a glacial 1/15).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow