D800 with classic lens

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
TITCHY
Senior MemberPosts: 1,019Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 with classic lens
In reply to Janoch, 8 months ago

I agree , the images from the 35-70 2.8 have a different "look" I found that on pretty normal settings the images were noticeably cooler than others taken with more modern glass , I assume its the different lens coating, but I found just about all my images were more "blue"/ that said it was a lovely lens to use and sharp .

I had the 24-70 2.8 for a while ,bought it at the same time as my D800, but although super sharp midrange 35-60ish I found it decidedly ordinary below about 30mm and quite poor at 24 with some weird distortion. and also poor at 70mm, I borrowed a "mint" 28-70 2.8 from a friend and although even hevier and bigger(fatter) than the 24-70 I really liked it , not quite as sharp ,but more consistent at the extremes and really good at 70mm , some naughty flare, but overall better consistency throughout the whole range . when my friend announced he was selling the 28-70 I bought it and sold the 24-70 with no regrets. of course others will have a different oppinion, we are all different, and thats ok, but I reccomend you find a way to handle, maybe even trial the 28-70 first , it is a bit of a beast and you may not agree with the assesments .

others have mentioned other much lighter options, they are well worth concidering.

take your time , and good luck.

TITCHY's gear list:TITCHY's gear list
Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow