Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,413Gear list
Like?
The Waiting Game (Syndrome)
6 months ago

I see so many threads on this and other forums that ask the same question:  Is it best to wait for (fill in camera model here)?

Yes, it would have been better if I had waited for the X-T1 instead of buying the X-E2 but at the same time I would have missed out on a lot of fun/good photography with a great camera.. which I intend to keep by the way.

Even if you wait for (fill in camera model here) there will always be rumors of something even better coming... and the best to wait syndrome will once again be at your doorstep.

It is probably only best to wait when you know the (fill in camera model here) release is imminent and the pre-production leaks are real proof that it is coming.... for real. * Note the asterisk.

More often than not this is all due to FUD regarding the current model and worrying about how much better the rumored new model will be.  No one wants to buy "old" gear... even if has a proven track record and its capabilities may, in many cases, surpass the abilities of the prospective owner.

Best to wait?  Yeah, I guess the answer is yes.  Unless you know how to take advantage of what is here now and want to get on with your photography.

I think I have reached a point where I now need to concentrate more on my abilities as a photographer rather than acquiring (more, better, newer) gear.  Of course that is easy for me to say as I have the latest from Fuji.... and like most of you, I wonder what news tomorrow will bring.

*The bottom line is that there will always be a better model coming... always.  The only person who can really answer your "Best to wait?" question is you.  Are you going to fish or cut bait?

Yeah.. not much going on tonight so I felt like posting something.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow