A7R with Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Samples

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
Re: A7R with Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Samples
In reply to husahin, 5 months ago

husahin wrote:

From Paradise Island, Bahamas. This is a decent UWA solution for the A7/R.

These can be viewed at full resolution along with some others on my Flickr stream below.

C&C welcome.

These are excellent landscape shots, congrats.
As a samyang owner i want to ask that i have nex-5n and sel1018 which i like very much. Should i continue using it if i upgrade to A7 or it would be better selling it and buying a Samyang 14mm?

I tested the SEL1018 quite a bit on the A7R before settling on the Samyang 14. One key difference between you and me was that I had neither to start with. If I had the SEL1018 already, then I'm not sure I would have rushed so quickly to get the Samyang 14mm. But in the end the Samyang is the better option for landscape shooting, since I can use the entire focal length, and not crop. Even though the 10-18 will give you an image over the full frame, between 14 and 16mm, the vignetting is very harsh, and the corners are very very very soft. I found I needed to crop the sides of the image from 3:2 format to a 5:4 format to get acceptable corner sharpness (equivalent to the Samyang 14mm), and at that point I have lost 1/6 of the image (from 36 MP to 30 MP). With an A7, you would be cropping in from 24 MP to 20 MP. With the Samyang, I'm give up optical stabilization and auto focusing, but neither are terribly important to me at 14mm and for landscapes.

Hope that helps you.

Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow