Anyone change the focusing screen on their D4?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,116Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone change the focusing screen on their D4?
In reply to nightmedia, 3 months ago

nightmedia wrote:

inasir1971 wrote:

Kpatel55 wrote:

Any Problem for auto focus after you change the screen?

Here's a summary if you're interested:

No problems with AF or on screen display functionality with either Df or D800.

I used the matte type screen (type 'S' from focusingscreens.com) and the only effect of this is on metering where it exposes slightly more, I'm guessing by around 0.5-0.7 EV. I have read that use of non-matte screens like split prism screens can affect spot metering at that location but IMO the type 'S' matte screen is sufficient.

It may be necessary to use the shims to calibrate the screen perfectly - both my cameras needed 1 shim (2 supplied with each screen).

Viewfinder works great and shows focus with fast lenses (f/1.4, f/2), slightly darker with f/2.8 lenses, and certainly darker with slow lenses like my 80-400/4.5-5.6 - though still usable in bright conditions like daylight. I wouldn't recommend it for people who regularly use f/4 lenses...

The upside of this is that manually focusing fast lenses (like the Ais 50/1.2, 35/1.4, and 85/1.4) is actually easy and accurate. You can also much better see what you're doing with the PC-E lenses through the viewfinder.

Second that S-type screen, I got one for the D800 and it is really great. You might want to check with the company, they did not send me any adjustment shims in the package, and I had to make do, padding the existing shim with scotch tape until I got it to focus perfectly.

I think the rendering in the viewfinder is about F/1.8, not quite F/1.4, but still very much better than the standard screen.

-- hide signature --

I received two shims with each of my focusing screens (as well as some tools)...

focusingscreens.com package contents. packet on left contains two shims

I also find that after changing the screens on both, the Df is easier to focus than the D800.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow