Just pulled the trigger on the Rokinon 14mm f2.8 for my A7 - but there's a story...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,575Gear list
Like?
Just pulled the trigger on the Rokinon 14mm f2.8 for my A7 - but there's a story...
5 months ago

I've been planning to use my old 17mm Tokina for my upcoming trip to northern Israel, and wait till the 16-35mm comes out from Sony.

But I thought and thought and thought. If the 16-35 is like the 24-70, I'll be disappointed. I have so many places on my bucket list I don't know when, if ever, I will be back to northern Israel (I'm going to a family wedding there, and seeing the sights for a few days before and after). I had great luck with the Rokinon 8mm made by Samyang. At least a third of my shots in Switzerland and Eastern Europe were with the 16mm+UWA on the NEX-6

I decided to order the Samyang 14mm.

I put "14mm f2.8 Sony E" in the search window on B&H - and came up with 2 lenses, one a Rokinon and one a Samyang. The Samyang was $50 more. The product codes and descriptors were suspiciously similar.

I started a chat:

You have been connected to Jesse G.

Jesse G: Hello Mel Snyder. My name is Jesse and I will be glad to assist you.

Mel Snyder : I'd like to know the difference between the 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens for Sony E Mount and the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens for Sony E Mount

Jesse G: Do you have codes I am only seeing the B&H # RO1428SE ? Mfr # FE14M-E

Mel Snyder: B&H # SA1428SE ? Mfr # SY14M-E is the samyang

Mel Snyder: B&H # RO1428SE ? Mfr # FE14M-E is the rokinon

Jesse G: There is not a true difference between the lenses other than the name that is on them...

Mel Snyder: No, the Samyang is a full frame lens

Jesse G: They are both full frame.

Mel Snyder: Are you saying you charge more for the same lens?

Jesse G: Bower sells the same lens as well. They are all made in the same factory.

Mel Snyder: I understand. I know Samyang makes Rokinon lenses.

Mel Snyder: But why is there a $50 difference in price if they are both full frame lenses?

Jesse G: It really is a branding thing.

Jesse G: "Perceived value".

Mel Snyder: Really?

Mel Snyder: It appears all the specs are the same...

PAUSE FOR A FEW MINUTES

Jesse G: I have been discussing it with my colleagues. They are all of the same mind. These lenses are made in the same factory but a different name goes on them.

Mel Snyder: OK

Mel Snyder: I believe you

I bought the Rokinon. Stay tuned. It should be here Monday.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow