DP Merrill Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bclaff
Contributing MemberPosts: 730
Like?
DP Merrill Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR)
6 months ago

It’s time to unveil the first Sigma Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) number.
Remember, this is a just a measurement that is one of many ways to compare cameras and sensor technology; it doesn’t change the pictures you take or how much you love (or hate) your camera; although understanding your camera might affect how you take pictures.
As always, please don’t “shoot the messenger”.

I’m starting with the DP Merrill cameras for several reasons.
One is that these are the cameras for which I have the most data.
Another is that these cameras are the easiest to measure because they handle Analog to Digital Conversion (ADC) in a more standard way than their predecessors.

The values measured for the DP1 Merrill, DP2 Merrill, and DP3 Merrill were indistinguishable from each other.
This is no surprise because they are essentially the same camera with different non-interchangeable lenses.
I would expect the SD1 and SD1 Merrill to fall in this group but that is an unproven hypothesis as this point as I have no data for those cameras.

The value I measured is 7.93; you can compare this with other cameras using my Interactive PDR Chart (If you don't see the DP Merrill on the chart yet it's because I'm rushing to get this posted first.)
If DxO Labs measured these cameras I would expect they would report a DxoMark Landscape Dynamic Range of approximately 11.2

I don’t think this value is surprising; dynamic range is not Foveon’s strong suit; this is a respectable value, just not stellar.
BTW, don’t confuse highlight recover (at the expense of shadow detail) with a high dynamic range.

-- hide signature --
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow