D800 with classic lens

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark McCormick
Contributing MemberPosts: 756
Like?
Re: D800 with classic lens
In reply to Mr. Click, 6 months ago

Interesting that this repair issue got mentioned. It is real. I bought my 28-70 f2.8 ED Nikkor lens brand new in 2005 for about$ 1500. Noticeably better sharpness on my Fuji S3 at the time than the first version of 24-120 VR Nikkor lens which had longer range, was lighter, and considerably less expensive at the time. By 2007 my expensive 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor had developed an annoying squeak, but it was by that time out of warranty, and I was advised by a Nikon Repair facility "if it is focusing OK, then keep using it, ignore the squeak". By 2009 the squeak was so bad it was embarrassing to use the lens in front of other people, but focusing was still highly accurate. In 2013 it finally died. Failed to auto focus, so I sent it in for repair. Approximately 700 dollars and six brand new internally replaced components later (that's right, it's not just the motor but several other parts as well that go bad on this lens) the lens is now working like brand new! I guess eight years of service isn't anything to complain about except for the fact that using the lens was excruciating to my ears due to the squeak in only two years. And in contrast, I have never serviced any other Nikkor lens  I own 25 of them), some dating back over 40 years and still going strong!

After all is said and done, I do believe the repair cost was worth it. It's a really good lens matched to my D800E. Some chromatic aberration that is easily correctable in ACR or LR, but overall superior image quality (much less distortion) than the latest 24-85 f3.5-5.6 G Nikkor I bought to carry me over while the older 28-70 f2.8 lens was in the repair shop. And the fact that it has an aperture ring (it's a D series lens) means I can use it on all my classic Nikon camera bodies spanning 45 years from 1959. Important if you own a whole collection of vintage Nikons like I do, but probably irrelevant if you only own recent FX Nikon camera bodies. All that said, if you are OK with G ("gelded") series lenses that don't have an aperture ring, then the newer 24-70 f 2.8 AFS ED Nikkor lens is probably a better bet.

-- hide signature --

Mark McCormick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow