Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Wyman
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Nex Up: The Central Coast of California - From My Mind to My Camera
3 months ago

I've posted some photos of my trips this year to Yosemite and Manhattan. Here's a look at what I saw a few days ago, along California's famed Central Coast, which I photographed from Pismo Beach, on the north, to the southern edge of Big Sur, where I found elephant seals and rocky cliffs, wildflowers and historic architecture, ancient volcanic monoliths, sea otters and a lot more.

While the variety of subjects, from landscapes to wildlife, is infinite, they all share something in common: proximity to the Pacific Ocean. The temperatures are usually moderate, even in the mountains that can come marching right down to the water.

I've been to the Central Coast many times. Part of the fun is the challenge to come up with new images during each outing. This time I used my NEX and a couple of Sony lenses, plus a classic Nikon lens, to make most of my photographs.

This male sea lion likes to beg for food off the fishing boat docks at Morro Bay. Patience rewarded me with several good shots, as the leviathan would occasionally rise up out of the water in a performance for any and all spectators. I used the 18-55mm lens.

Sunset at the Pismo Beach pier, with my 10-18mm lens.

I occasionally use a classic old Nikon 75-155mm lens, favored long ago by one of my favorite photographers, Galen Rowell. I mated the lens with a focal reducer.

Pismo Beach at sunset, with my Nikon 75-150mm lens.

Goats in a little car. I don't think I understand this photo, myself, except to say I used my wide-angle lens to make it.

The mission church in San Luis Obispo dates to 1792.

Along Perfumo Canyon Road.

Morning at the harbor in the community of Avila Beach.

Sea lions took over a walkway beneath the pier at Avila Beach (my 18-55mm lens again).

I think I was able to come back with a lot of new images, inspired, in part, by my terrific camera.

David Wyman's gear list:David Wyman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow