Does Sony's "clear zoom" work with non-Sony lenses? Or with the LA-EA2 + A-mount?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,060Gear list
Like?
Re: Does Sony's "clear zoom" work with non-Sony lenses? Or with the LA-EA2 + A-mount?
In reply to GaryW, 4 months ago

GaryW wrote:

Thanks for the tests. We can run some as well.

For me, the bottom line is this: if CIZ is no better than a SOOC JPEG crop, then there's no point to it.

When you view at 100%, you can certainly see differences between the three JPEG variants (with the CIZ version being slightly better than ordinary digital zoom), but you only have to zoom out a little bit for them to become indistinguishable. So CIZ probably is very slightly better than ordinary digital zoom, but there's little to choose between them, and neither is any better than a simple crop unless you zoom right in.

Even though I'm a committed RAW used, I'm surprised just how much better it is than any of the JPEG versions (and with no jaggies, as I just used normal bicubic, rather than bicubic sharper). Even zoomed out, the RAW looks better than the CIZ and other JPEG versions.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow