My dream full-frame camera.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,413
Like?
Re: Some of us have different priorities
In reply to Rservello, 6 months ago

Rservello wrote:

That's my biggest reasoning...those are useless features that add to cost and battery lose. If I could get a camera that had no extras with the IQ of the D600 for the price of the D7100 (or even D5200) that would be awesome!

For about $100 you can buy a P&S with the usual exposure modes, autofocus (although not phase detect), video, 3 inch LCD, WiFi, etc.  So the total cost of all those items has to be less than $100.  They add little to the cost of a FF camera and make it appeal to a much larger market.  Deleting them would be like asking the maker of a $35,000 car to make you a model without cruise control and power windows and only charge you $25,000.

If you turn the LCD off it consumes no power.  Even if it did the battery on most SLRs lasts for close to 1000 shots and you can always carry a spare battery.  They take up a lot less room than 30 rolls of film would have.

It makes a lot more sense for camera manufacturers to make a model with all the features and let those of you that do not need them ignore them.  I personally have no use for video but having it in all my cameras does not hurt anything.  I just disable or reprogram the record button so I do not accidentally press it and ignore everything video related.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yuckNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow