My dream full-frame camera.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Rad Encarnacion
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
Re: Some of us have different priorities
In reply to Doss, 8 months ago

Doss wrote:

I feel inclined to jump in here as RobinT & Rservello are not alone.

To the naysayers who say there'd be no market for such things: Well, yes there would. There are many of us out there who know our gear and know how to use it in such a way that we can hit correct exposure without the need to chimp, we can hit the correct focus using manual lenses (given a suitable manual viewfinder). For me, I practiced my technique and not wasting film depended on developing this skill. We see cameras as tools we need to depend on - so durability and battery life are two of the most important factors.

So, for some of you features like an LCD & AF may be an advantage, but to us they are just a battery drain, or extra things to go wrong or add to the manufacturing costs & weight.

It is clear the three of you are missing the point: the question of "will it sell?" is not a question of whether the market exists, but a question of whether the market is big enough to justify the cost of production.

Nikon released the Df for $2749 at launch, so what makes you think they would sell the camera you want for less than that, when stripping out the back LCD practically guarantees that it would sell even less units than the Df?

It's not that Nikon can't make that camera - it's that Nikon's Return on Investment (ROI) wouldn't be acceptable at the price your market wants to pay. Conversely, the ROI would only be acceptable at a price your market doesn't want to pay.

Rad Encarnacion's gear list:Rad Encarnacion's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yuckNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow