ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kcinesser
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Oly 75mm or...
7 months ago

Hey all,

In need of some advice. Had the EM5 for a while now, and looking to add a lens or two to my setup. So far, I have the regular 12-50mm kit lens, the 17mm, and the 45mm. This has worked well for most of my uses, with the 17mm staying on the camera most times, and the 45mm finding quite a bit of use, but sometimes I find myself wishing for a little more reach.

I'm a big fan of primes, so I've been looking at the Olympus 75mm quite a bit over recent weeks. Looking at some sample pictures, I'm loving the DoF/isolation it provides and the sharpness/bokeh is very attractive to me, as well as the quick aperture for night. I do, however, have some concerns. Mostly the odd focal length, and the price.

For those that have used/own the 75mm, how do you find using it? Obviously it's pretty great for portraits, but how about for just general use? Do you find it difficult to use as a walk around? For example, if I were at the zoo and needed some reach, does the 75mm do the job? I guess my question is, what situations do you find yourself using this lens the most?

If it weren't so pricey, I wouldn't be so hesitant, but it would easily be my most expensive lens purchase. Are there many other alternatives out there? I've seen the Sigma 60mm for a fraction of the price, but it doesn't seem to give a whole lot more reach than my 45mm, doesn't have the fast aperture, and optically I've heard it can't really touch the 75mm.

Thoughts, advice, stories?

Thanks in advance.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow