Started 8 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
burnymeister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,522Gear list
Like?
An addictive, attractive and very usable Camera
8 months ago

I have used a lot of cameras over the years - especially with the advent of digital ones. My priorities are a combination of:

1. Portability (system size including lenses)
  2. Image Quality
  3. Usability
  4. Form factor 
  5. Availability of lenses including primes

The 4/3 and m4/3 standard has produced many good cameras, especially in the past few years and I have used almost all of them and many of the lenses too.

Up until the GM1 there has not been a camera in the m43 system that truly used the smaller sensor size to produce a small body. Many of the premier m43 cameras such as the GH4 and the EM1 are awesome cameras (especially with the excellent range of high quality lenses now available) but they aren't much smaller or lighter than my Fuji gear.

The GM1 is a remarkably small camera. It's downright tiny! I used a Sony RX100 mark II all last summer and while I loved it, I felt limited by it's 1" sensor and non-interchangeable lens design. The GM1 fixes those issues and adds a few nice bonus features for me.

Something that doesn't get mentioned a lot with regards to the GM1 is the blazing fast AF. My routine is simple and flexible - and fun! I have the camera set up to "Area focus" with the touch screen activated for focusing. I simply compose the scene on the excellent LCD the way I want, touch the screen where I want focus to be and press the shutter. So intuitive and so fast, it actually makes the lack of EVF a total non-issue for the first time on a camera for me. I always want an OVF / EVF option but for the GM1 I wouldn't use one even if it became somehow possible.

The tiny 12-32mm lens is awesome too. I can fit the entire package in a tiny case on the shoulder strap of my backpack and barely notice it's there. Lenses that make sense on this camera include;

• 12-32
  • The upcoming "new" 35-100 that Panny is designing for this camera
  • Olympus 12mm f/2
  • Panny 15mm f/1.7
  • Olympus 17mm f/1.8
  • Panny 20mm f/1.8
  • Olympus 25mm f/1.8
  • Olympus 45mm f/1.8

I also have the optional Panasonic grip which is way too expensive but does add some security for one-handed operation.

-- hide signature --

Vern Dewit
Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.explor8ion.com
http://verndewit.com/

burnymeister's gear list:burnymeister's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha 7S Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4
burnymeister's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow