Isn't there some relation between the highest magnification at which (cont. below)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
mmurph
Regular MemberPosts: 402
Like?
Re: I likey uour answer.
In reply to clear glass, 3 months ago

clear glass wrote:

If I understand you, it's very common sense, essentially, try things and you'll get a feel for it. Once you have the parameters you usually use fixed, you could reduce it to a rule of thumb.

Exactly!

Unfortunately for those of us who like to think we are experts at everything (ie: almost everyone online), you mostly have to do the work to know the camera & materials well. That used to frustrate me no end when I was a beginner!

In my case, when I had a studio about 10 years ago, I shot about 35,000 images each year with my Canon 1DsII.

After processing and printing and working with 70,000 images from that camera over 2 years, I knew exactly what it could deliver. Then that education carries over to newer tools, when you can compare them to something that you know pretty well.

The good news about digital is that it is essentially free to shoot a lot of images.

I also set up a very cheap Epson 7600 "proof printer" - with OCP dye inks at about $20 per liter - that let me spool off endless prints for almost no cost (once I stocked up on a light weight proofing paper on sale.)

After I set the printer up, I proofed a ton of images at 24x36 for the very first print, to learn what those images really looked like with different subjects, lenses, imaging techniques, sharpening techniques, etc. It is hard to get a real feel for a print just by looking at the computer screen, especially with sharpening techniques and viewing distances, etc.

I also tested a ton of papers by printing the same 2 images on about 30-35 paper samples when the baryta papers first came out. Then I chose 2 or 3 standard papers to stock and use, both daily use and a premium paper.

You could do something similar at 13x19 with a $100 Pixma Pro-100 and $130 worth of Precision Color ink. If you want to simulate a 24x36 in print, you crop and print 1/4 of an image, etc.

You will probably get 50 sheets of 13x19 with the printer. You can also buy an additional 5 boxes pretty cheaply when Canon has their buy 1, get 4 free sale. Than just print, print, print and have fun!

Just find the things that engage you, follow your heart, and keep exploring.

The brain is an amazing computer that can factor in more variables than you can consciously manage. That is why we have the old rule of thumb that it takes approximately 10,000 hours to become an "expert" at something. (That is probably true about being a photographer in general, not just printing, but you get the point.)

I hope that helps? Have fun!

-- hide signature --

Best,
Michael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow