Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hollywoodhawk
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Good-bye Sony. Until we meet again.
4 months ago

I made the rash decision last night to sell off my NEX 7 in favor of an Olympus OM-D E-M5.

The 7 made me love shooting, and able to shoot because of it's size and weight, like no DSLR ever could. Using manual lenses from the Canon FD line meant I had quality glass with little DOP loss and a slight focal extension that was great for my style of photography. I even grew to love the button layout and effects I could do with picture styles and WB- and of course the MF assistant was world class.
But I wasn't happy with the overall IQ of this system despite the 24mp count- along with the ugliest jpegs I've ever seen, even raw images look dull, harsh, and somewhat dark. It was a painful shock while doing some headshots that I liked the results from my old Canon T2i more than the 7, even when adapting the same Canon EF 85mm1.8. While the ISO performance was similar, Sony's processing engine doesn't do a good job of rendering and so it looks much uglier to my eyes. Then there's the lack of native lenses... unfortunately Sony hasn't been on the ball with production or quality in this regard most of all. I've always thought of upgrading to FF one day and the A7/A7r make that so exciting and accessible I very may well get the second or third versions of those cameras.

So why Olympus? I did a lot of research, watched a ton of youtube videos and reviews, checked out all of the famous players online that use them, and checked out the forums here. What really sold me though? Flickr. I went to the camera finder and compared the OM-D E-M5 images to the Canon 5D MKIII- they were so similar in overall quality to my eyes that there was no contest anymore.
Thanks Sony. You opened my eyes to mirrorless and I had a blast with you. It's not that we're done for good- I'd still like to keep in touch and see how we both grow. Maybe we just need time apart. Right now we're not ready for a long term thing and there's even someone else that's caught my attention... but I hope we remain good friends.
And thanks to all of you for reading this and for anyone who responded to my few posts beforehand. I'm interested in any thoughts you may have and I'm sure I'll be on this side of the fence from time to time.

hollywoodhawk's gear list:hollywoodhawk's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 5D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow