Jobu Jnr or Jobu PRO2 Gimbal for 80-400mmG on D800 ?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Dr Bob
Contributing MemberPosts: 840Gear list
Like?
Re: Jobu Jnr or Jobu PRO2 Gimbal for 80-400mmG on D800 ?
In reply to exRhodesian, 8 months ago

exRhodesian wrote:

Hi,

Would the 80-400mm +D800 work okay on the Jobu Pro2 gimbal or would it be better to go for the Jobu Junior ? One never knows if one gets a larger lens in future which is why I'm considering the Pro2.

I'm also upgrading my early-90's Manfrotto 055 steel tripod to a new Gitzo 5542LS to use with the gimbal - the gitzo should be far more stable. Anyone had problems with the 5542LS ?

Will the Jobu Pro2 be okay with for 80-400mm or better getting the Jobu Jnr gimbal ?

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian,

I have no experience with the Jobu gimbals but if you are upgrading to a 'stella' tripod, then why skimp on the gimbal. The specs on the Jr look a bit light for upgrading to a 500mm F4. I am surprised though that you are finding the 055 tripod not good enough for your new 80-400G. A lot depends on what you are shooting

For what it's worth - here is my experience. I got my 80-400G a year ago and paired it up with a 12 year old manfroto 055 pro. I then bought a Benro gimbal head which is cheaper than Jobu's etc. It works fine for my use - shooting birds - with no stabiity problems at all. The first thing I would look at if any instability is the collar and foot - although some have reported you dont need the Kirk (or RSS) foot. I did not need to. Most of my 20K shots with the 80-400G though have been hand held so for me, it has certainly not been worth blowing £1500 on a top of the range tripod.

A month ago I bought a 500mm F4 and thought I needed to go for a 5 series Gitzo. After a few days testing I worked out that the manfroto 055/benro gimbal was fine as long as I kept above 1/200 sec shutter speed. A month on, I am using the tripod/gimbal in the garden hide with shutter speeds around 1/500 when the light is bad. Maybe if I need to shoot birds in very poor light (dusk etc) then a better tripod is needed. What I have found though is that it is not that difficult to hand hold the 500m so i have bought a monopod and have relegated the tripod just to the garden hide.

Bottom line - getting a gimbal was very worth it. A big benefit for shooting birds, but for me, I dont need the stability of the series 5 Gitzo .....yet! - the manfroto 055 is working well.

Andy

http://andyburnsphotography.zenfolio.com/waterfowl/h61fe168c#h20c1b1f5

-- hide signature --

Andy

Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow