JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,785Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
In reply to Petroglyph, 5 months ago

Petroglyph wrote:

JamieTux wrote:

Petroglyph wrote:

If Ricoh would drop the price to around 4000$ and Convince Samyang to offer, say, a 28 f/2, 58 f/2, and 98 f/2.8 Macro that might get some attention. Now most realize the camera at 10000 and new 28mm (also very expensive), it is just too far out of reach for serious consideration. This is probably why Nikon wouldn't care.

Cheers.

How much is the Leica with the same sensor? Or the hassleblad or Phase competition? What are their autofocus modules like? What's the weather sealing like on those cameras?

No disagreement there - I'd consider it a great value as well. The thread seems more about if Pentax can sell 1 645D-II for every 1000 D800s Nikon sells. My point was just the role of pricing in marketing. Ricoh might even make more money selling the cameras at a loss (since the sensor is now CMOS price can come down over time) and make money on lenses.

Or they might sell more units by having a higher price and making it more exclusive and desirable
I couldn't say for sure that this is what Leica have done overall - but they definitely have with the special/limited editions of the M series!
But yes loss leaders (PS3 at a loss with money on the software) could work too - it will be interesting to see if they try either approach or keep the traditional Pentax perception of great value for quality kit.

I think that the Pentax 645D offers great value actually, I am looking at adding MF this year and the Pentax would probably be front runner for what I want even if they were all the same price.

Many will.

As you mentioned in another post, the possibility of what Sony might do is putting the breaks on making a decision :). The downside for them is no legacy lenses and no MF history to fall back on,

Never stopped them before.

No, you have to start somewhere!

maybe they could get Zeiss to do them with all of their 'blad and Contax experience but they would not be cheap!

Now they are coming out with curved sensor technology. This is very interesting. We had a thread here a while back where some bright forum member suggested that. Keep your eye on Sony!

My father was speaking to me about the benefits of a curbed sensor when I had a Nikon D70 (and it was new LOL)  I told him that they would need to find a way to produce them accurately enough and cheaply enough, maybe the time is now?  I've not seen anything to comment though
These are interesting times to love photography

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow