Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
rdhphoto1
Regular MemberPosts: 242Gear list
Like?
Man, you nailed that!
In reply to mmmmmmmm, 6 months ago

mmmmmmmm wrote:

Say one thing bad or not complimentary about Nikon and stand back because you are certainly going to be "flamed" for ever.

As a full time photographer since l970, I have seen many changes in the world of professional photography. And, I might add, not all the changes are for the best. For instance, in a close neighboring town, a mother and daughter duo has started to capture the local market. They charge $36 for a 16X20 and $12 for an 8X10. Heck, I was charging $145 for a 16X20 more than 30 years ago. Fortunately I am 71 and retiring this year!!

Also back in the MF days we paid more than $5000 for a 2-1/4 by 2-1/4 camera that to this day takes a great in focus picture. All soccer moms had were point and shoot 35mm cameras so we had little competition. Now every Tom, Dick, and Harry as well as soccer moms can go to Walmart and buy a $100 camera and take pictures almost as good as my expensive Nikons.

BACK TO NIKON AND CANON! As a member of the PPofA for more than 30 years, I have received their magazine. By far most portraits have been taken with Canon and I believe for a very good reason. It is much easier to get great skin tones with Canon than NIKON. If you read the article written by Scott why he switched, you will read that flesh tones was the biggest reason he switched. Believe it or not but I can look at a portrait and tell 90% of the time which camera took a portrait.

My D800 is probably the worst camera that I have every purchased. It has been back to Nikon two times for focus problems. Each time it comes back with a letter stating there is nothing wrong with the focus but still at typical portrait distances I get crappy focus - even off a tripod. I don't even use the D800 anymore, using my two D700s which give me great in-focus pictures.

Another thing about Nikon I dislike is their flash systems. I switched years ago from Canon to Nikon because at the timed Nikon had a better flash system. Now that Canon has the e-ttl II or whatever they call it, along with their new radio controlled flash system, Canon has the far more accurate flash.

If I had another 10 or 15 years in the business I would be a Canon shooter in a heart beat. My Canon EOS-M that I paid only $375 for takes better and more consistenty focused pictures than my D800 which is sad.

I have more than $50,000 in cameras, lenses, flashes, studio flashes. Used equipment isn't worth crap when you go to sell it. The D700 is still the best Nikon for the money. You don't need more pixels for portraits.

respectfully,

David Miller

You are 100% correct on all points.  IMVHO.

Good luck with your photography.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JeezNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow