m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
uberzone
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?
Re: it's a Navajo park; access is controlled as in many other parks
In reply to gregbartgis, 7 months ago

gregbartgis wrote:

I do understand what you are getting at, though I still feel that the Navajo Nation probably has no right to deprive a US citizen of his/her constitutional rights. I could be wrong and I do understand their outstanding status. I din't know about their dominion over the Grand Canyon and I do understand that access to the park should be limited and that isn't the point of my post. When you're there, and having paid the premium for the tour, unless the US Constitution is suspended there - I doubt it - arbitrary gear restrictions are illegal. This is a subject worthy of scrutiny. I'm not advocating for people to exercise special privilege over all public lands just because they're ours, but, when access is granted we retain our full rights a US citizens. Does the Navajo Nation have its own police force? Courts? Prisons? Or do they rely on the US Government to provide these services? If policing is done by US citizen/ police, then they are obliged to obey US laws. The courts may be trumped by tribal councils, but still, policing itself becomes an extension of US authority and they must obey the law. I don't care about all of the nitpicking arguments about what kind of equipment should qualify. All cameras must be permitted. They can prevent someone from taking a picture for safety or environmental reasons. They can't tell you not to take a picture because they don't like your gear - unless,of course, you are throwing your discarded polaroid wrappers in the river!

-- hide signature --

The elimination of the mirror has introduced a new concept into the interchangeable lens digital camera market - compactness (kind of like what happened when Oscar Barnack created the Leica).

The laws regarding Indian Reservations are somewhat complex, but I do not believe they are public lands. They usually require a permit or payment to be allowed on the property, especially for environmentally sensitive areas. As it is their property, they can set the rules and regulations, within the law of course.

Say you invite a stranger into your home and they insist on bringing in a gun. By your logic, you have no right to deny them carrying a gun into your home because it is "their right as an American", provided they have the proper permit of course.

uberzone's gear list:uberzone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow