m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 3,929Gear list
Like?
More people should take this approach to get it changed
In reply to ahrensjt, 5 months ago

I think if enough people e-mail them, they will change their policy.  Linking to articles where professionals named the E-M1 "camera of the year" over "larger" DSLRs might help explain.

I wonder if a GH3 or GH4 would have been accepted and if an A7R would have been rejected.  Do they make you take off the lense to then they measure the sensor?

ahrensjt wrote:

Hi all,

I read genesys' original post, and really felt sorry for him and his experience there.  I would have been incredibly frustrated.  Since my wife and I have an E-M5 and a G5, I also was a bit bothered - that seems like a tour we would like to join!

So I found "Ken's" tours on the Web, and sent them an email, wanting to get a formal response as to "why?".  I pasted the exchange below.

Summary:  I received a very rapid response (well done Emily), but it was clear that Emily did NOT understand the issue regarding the equipment restriction as currently defined.  It is possible that one could print out Emily's second email to show the tour gestapo -- an "official" statement that m43 cameras are in fact allowed with a tripod.  But this was inconsistent with her first email, so I'm not sure I would bet travel expenses on it.  All in all, a disappointing result.

The email exchange:

Apr 3, 2014, at 12:13 AM

Hello Ken’s Tour,
 I am planning a holiday, and want to make sure of something before I make tour reservations.

I read (link below) that someone with a professional-level mirrorless camera was denied access to the Photography tour.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3649770
 Is this still your policy?  I have a similar pro-level mirrorless camera, and want to make sure (i.e., in writing) whether I would be able to join that tour.
 Thanks,
Jeffrey

-- hide signature --

Von: Emily Young [mailto:keny@aztrail.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 3. April 2014 09:32
An: Jeffrey
Betreff: Re: Lower Antelope Canyon - Photography question
 Hi Jeffrey
 You need a Tripod and DSLR or film SLR, middle format or large format for the 2hrs pass and the fees is $50 per person. You can still take your take your Professional-level mirrorless camera with the
1hrs Tour group if you don't have a tripod and the fees is $26 per person. You'll still take Photo along the way with the group Tour. You don't need a reservation for the Tour, just show anytime when you come and sign in at the Booth.
 Thanks Again
Ken's Tour

----------

Apr 3, 2014, at 12:40 AM

Hi Emily,
 I appreciate the fast response!
 The photography forum at DPreview.com was wondering why a modern mirrorless, interchangeable lens camera with tripod (such as my Olympus E-M5) would be rejected, even though entry-level DSLRs and older film SLRs would be acceptable – even though models like the Olympus have equivalent or better dynamic range and image quality.
 Can you shed some light on this?
 If I had to guess, I’d bet you had customers in the past that complained “why didn’t my photos turn out?!?”, when they were using a camera (or techniques) that simply could not cope with the challenging conditions.  Therefore you implemented the restrictions.  Is that a good guess?
 If so, might I recommend that you update the “approved cameras” restriction, to include some of the modern professional mirrorless cameras (Leica, Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, Sony).

As of today, I unfortunately would not be able to take the tour.
 Thank you for considering the policy change.
 Regards,
Jeffrey

----------

Von: Emily Young [mailto:keny@aztrail.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 3. April 2014 09:53
An: Jeffrey
Betreff: Re: Lower Antelope Canyon - Photography question

Hi Jeffrey

As long as you've a Tripod for your Camera you can ask for the 2hrs Photo Pass, that all we said.

Thanks Again
Ken's Tour

----------

Thanks Emily.

It looks like a great tour, and I just wanted you to be aware of the negative publicity being generated by the camera restriction.

My forum friend had a tripod, but was still rejected, so it appears that there is some inconsistency between what you wrote and what is being enforced.

Another photography pro mentioned it here, and he has close to 1 million followers.
https://plus.google.com/+GordonLaing/posts/GqyBRd8DPSA#+GordonLaing/posts/GqyBRd8DPSA

Anyway, I won’t bother you with emails any more.

Cheers,
Jeffrey

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow