A6000 vs NEX-5N: Low light, high ISO

Started Apr 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Regular MemberPosts: 333
A6000 vs NEX-5N: Low light, high ISO
Apr 3, 2014

Hi all - Recently got the A6000 as an upgrade to my NEX-5N and some folks here asked me to do some low light-high ISO comparison between the two cameras. Being a casual shooter, I invariably use the JPEG mode but for this test I shot in the RAW+JPEG mode. Being unfamiliar with RAW processing I used the SONY IDC for opening and converting raw images and converted them into 16-bit TIFF with only one alteration to the 5N file. Although I used the same settings for both cameras the 5N somehow chose a 1/13th sec exposure to the 1/10 th on the A6000 which resulted in a relatively brighter A6000 image. So, before outputting to TIFF, I increased the 5N EV to +0.67 which resulted in somewhat similar images in terms of brightness.

Opened the TIFF files in GIMP (which converted them to 8-bit TIFF - as GIMP cannot process 16-bit TIFFs - then placed them side by side the 100% crops and took a screen shot on my Mac. I don't know if this the way to do a comparison and I did it as a kind of quick test.

JPEGs comparison was straight forward without any modification and again the 100% crops side by side.

My settings on both cameras:

Aperture mode.

ISO: 3200 (I did other ISO also but SONY IDC is way too slow and I am hesitant to process them as I did (above) - which may be very incorrect!

Auto white balance

On a Tripod

Shutter release with the remote control

What's your call based on these images?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated given the minimalistic tools at my disposal.

PS: First two images are OOC JPEGs: A6000 followed by NEX-5N. The next one is the screen shot of 100% crops of JPEGs- left A6000, right NEX-5N and the final image is the screen shot of RAW-16TIFF-8TIFF-100% crops side by side: A6000 left and NEX-5N - right.

A6000 - OOC JPEG

100% crops of JPEGs: Left: A6000, right: NEX-5N

100% crops of RAW converted 8-bit TIFFs - Left: A6000, right: NEX-5N

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow