Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sphinx_man
Regular MemberPosts: 308
Like?
A6000 vs NEX-5N: Low light, high ISO
4 months ago

Hi all - Recently got the A6000 as an upgrade to my NEX-5N and some folks here asked me to do some low light-high ISO comparison between the two cameras. Being a casual shooter, I invariably use the JPEG mode but for this test I shot in the RAW+JPEG mode. Being unfamiliar with RAW processing I used the SONY IDC for opening and converting raw images and converted them into 16-bit TIFF with only one alteration to the 5N file. Although I used the same settings for both cameras the 5N somehow chose a 1/13th sec exposure to the 1/10 th on the A6000 which resulted in a relatively brighter A6000 image. So, before outputting to TIFF, I increased the 5N EV to +0.67 which resulted in somewhat similar images in terms of brightness.

Opened the TIFF files in GIMP (which converted them to 8-bit TIFF - as GIMP cannot process 16-bit TIFFs - then placed them side by side the 100% crops and took a screen shot on my Mac. I don't know if this the way to do a comparison and I did it as a kind of quick test.

JPEGs comparison was straight forward without any modification and again the 100% crops side by side.

My settings on both cameras:

Aperture mode.

ISO: 3200 (I did other ISO also but SONY IDC is way too slow and I am hesitant to process them as I did (above) - which may be very incorrect!

Auto white balance

On a Tripod

Shutter release with the remote control

What's your call based on these images?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated given the minimalistic tools at my disposal.

Cheers

SG

PS: First two images are OOC JPEGs: A6000 followed by NEX-5N. The next one is the screen shot of 100% crops of JPEGs- left A6000, right NEX-5N and the final image is the screen shot of RAW-16TIFF-8TIFF-100% crops side by side: A6000 left and NEX-5N - right.

A6000 - OOC JPEG

NEX-5N OOC JPEG

100% crops of JPEGs: Left: A6000, right: NEX-5N

100% crops of RAW converted 8-bit TIFFs - Left: A6000, right: NEX-5N

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
...New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow