Nikon Sports/photojournalism shooter on a budget... D3s or D300s w/ grip?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ph0t0guy
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Nikon Sports/photojournalism shooter on a budget... D3s or D300s w/ grip?
7 months ago

Hello fellow Nikon shooters, I'm a full time photojournalist working for a local paper, so I shoot everything from high-school sports to concerts to portraits to pretty much anything else you can think of. I am currently shooting with a D7000, (w/ a grip for no reason other than that I have large hands and it's easier to carry) but I find that it can be a bit slow at times... especially for sports. Plus I'm changing lenses so often that I really need to have a second body anyway. So here's my question; I've done tons of research and my budget won't allow a D4s as much as I want one... so I'm looking at getting a used D3s. But those still fetch upwards of $3,000... so I'm also considering a D300s with a grip... (for comfort and bc you get 8fps with the right battery, as opposed to the 9fps of the D3s)

Yes I know the D300 is DX, but considering I could get a D300 and grip used for about $700-$1000, less than a third the cost of a used D3s, and dx lenses are cheaper... it's at least worth considering. I just don't know if the d3s is that much better in terms of autofocusing, or what makes the difference.

These are the lenses I have right now (and use daily) I know I'll have to get more FX glass (starting with 24-70 2.8) once I go full frame, but that's a bridge I'll cross when I get there.

70-200 VR 2.8

50mm prime 1.8

18-105 DX 3.5-5.6

Suggestions? Recommendations? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nikon D300 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon D4s Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow