Pro photographers and "prime vs zoom" issue

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
David Wyman
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?
Galen Rowell and Instamatics
In reply to Dandrewk, 4 months ago

Dandrewk wrote:

I remember some very early Galen Rowell images that were shot using an instamatic. It was one of the reasons I became immersed in landscape photography.

Thank God I didn't pixel peep those images, otherwise... what would I do with all my spare time and extra money?

Memory plays funny tricks on us. I would doubt there are any photos in books or online that Rowell made with an Instamatic.

Rowell photos began appearing in publications somewhere around 1968, in small magazines about climbing and skiing. He did not use an Instamatic for those photos.

This is not to say Rowell didn't use an Instamatic. He close friend, fellow photograph and climber Gordon Wiltsie, in a remembrance after Rowell's untimely death, wrote: "I heard that Galen shot his first pictures with a Kodak Instamatic." But not Rowell's professional images.

David Wyman's gear list:David Wyman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow