Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
salla30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,452Gear list
Like?
Prime use - longer term comments from a beginner
8 months ago

As the SEL 35F18 is my only lens purchase ever, and a whole new ball game in terms of general with respect to using the Kit lens (18-35mm, 3.5-5.6 variable aperture), I thought I would share a little of my longer term experiences with this lens.

First off, since I bought it a couple of months ago, it has not left the camera and it has turned the NEX 5N into my main camera. I really have not been using the RX100ii much at all (prior to the acquisition, it was the other way round).

I have been using it so much, in fact, that I have become quite used to the fixed focal length, framing the shot in my mind before even attempting it with my camera.

Then, when I do get the RX100ii out, it seems very unnatural, a weird wideangle device, which I find I am zooming in to get a more natural perspective.

Also, I have noticed I am adjusting the aperture a heck of a lot more than before (using kit lens). I tended to just shoot wide all the time with the kit. Now I really have to juggle the aperture correctly for the shot. DOF becomes a big issue. Do I really want it? Will it work here? Am i compromising IQ (edge distortions) by using a too wide aperture?

And capturing my son with a wider aperture and still in focus, whilst he's "on the go" has been a real challenge!

Yep, the 1.8 aperture is both a blessing and a curse at times, nice to have the option, but adjusting the Aperture constantly and keeping an eye on exposure and focus is one more variable to think of.

Anyhow... Loving the lens still and the creativity it's opened up to me and it's quality. And also, the new way it's stretching me to capture the good shots

Here's a few examples of my hits and misses of yesterday:

-- hide signature --
 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow