I've been lusting for a new camera, but only now have I an inkling what I truly want.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
Re: I've been lusting for a new camera, but only now have I an inkling what I truly want.
In reply to millardmt, 3 months ago

millardmt wrote:

Hi Kids:

I should say that I have quite a stash of old Nikkors which I refuse to forsake, and so I was (and am) greatly pleased with the advent of the Metabones Nikon-to-MFT speedbooster/Adapter.

I like analog dials: were it not for its size and the need to buy new native lenses and, especially, because I refuse to buy a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder "hump," I'd buy the Fuji XT-1.

Which brings me to my pet peeve: If a camera doesn't have a prism, its EVF better be modular or I'll want nothing to do with it! Period. End of discussion.

1) As little plastic as possible. I'll pay a 250% weight AND price penalty for this alone.

2) No frivolous or proprietary features. I don't want movies but it takes so little space it's a moot issue.

3) As said before, everything should be removable/modular in design.

4) Flexibility of control should be maximal; there should be a maximum of dedicated hardware controls on the camera. And Each button/switch should be the highest quality obtainable.

5) Camera size should be kept to an absolute minimum. (For example, I'd tolerate a substantially smaller than 3" (diagonal) LCD size to keep overall dimensions down.

6) Wi-Fi, NFC, Art-Filters, social media connectivity and the like should be omitted altogether.

7) Mechanical shutter only.

8) All switches would be of aircraft grade only (or better).

9) I would beg, borrow or steal $6,000 for a well designed MFT camera-body only with the above attributes.

If you still want to be involved in photography go get an Alpa system. Fully modular. No fake hump, no frivolous or proprietary features, no Wi-Fi, NFC, Filters and definitely mechanical shutters in the lenses. Go read up on GetDPI. You'll also pay both your weight and price penalty, plus a bit more. It looks beautiful too. Considering the grade of camera and sensor you get it is about as small as possible for a tech camera. I'll direct you to their web site where you can drool over the machined metal and custom wood grips. http://www.alpa.ch/en/intro.html

Goto GetDPI for more details, user experience and buying advice.

Otherwise find a new hobby and leave us in peace. You'll never get the camera you want in the m43s world unless you build it yourself. You'll still want to replace it 2 years anyway. Seriously, you want a camera built like then, then place an adapter on it and use old Nikon lenses on it? I guess the old and rich can be eccentric, but that's why there is Alpa.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
35SNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow