Where is the industry heading - some thoughts.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,142Gear list
Like?
Re: Where is the industry heading - some thoughts.
In reply to Paul B Jones, 7 months ago

Thanks, Paul.

This interest in the camera industry started decades ago.  I ran an engineering department working on new product development.  Our product had nothing to do with photography; but we used cameras in the lab and in customer's plants, and almost everybody had a camera.  So we studied the designs of the various camera companies and watched their progress over time.  Particularly in things like modularity and upholding company "standards".  The idea being to avoid similar mistakes in our gear, to watch how they handled modularity, to see how good they were about backward compatibility, and how well they planned ahead.

It was fun, we got pretty good about it, and I'd still at it, 16 years after I retired.

So, I've kept an informal track, year by year, of the industry, company by company.  More recently there has been a lot of data on shipments and profits and loss, and new technologies and user habits emerging.   Fun for me to speculate on, and this forum makes it easy to get other's views.

Companies that are on their game will shift product emphasis as conditions change - I know we did.

There has to be some shaking out coming in the industry.  As much as anything, it's a battle for shelf space.  Too many models, too many brands.  Only the biggest stores can handle them all.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow