Nikon SB800/900 real GN value ...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,665Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon SB800/900 real GN value ...
In reply to Arnaud M, 5 months ago

Arnaud M wrote:

Does someone has made real power measurements with a flash meter of the Nikon Speedlight SB900 and SB800 ?

I have been testing my side last night with a Sekonic 308s which seems to confirm my observations in the field.

I find a guide number of 22.9 at full power flashes wathever the model powered by 4 x 1.5V alcalynes batteries or 4 x 1.2V Eneloop batteries.
Flash set to manual at full power, FX format on SB900, 35mm manual focal length, flash meter to 1 meter in line with the flash in a dark room with little stray reflections, ISO 100.

Feeding the SB800 with 5 alcalynes 1.5V batteries, the guide number changes to 32.1

There should be no increase in GN due to putting in an extra battery.  The power to the flash is provided by the capacitor.  A 5th battery should only serve to recharge the capacitor faster and to provide more total flashes off a set of batteries.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow