Show Your Snaps...March 31, 2014

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
dzba
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?
Re: Lessons Learned, advice appreciated
In reply to seeker moc, 8 months ago

seeker moc wrote:

It seems like the last few days I've made nothing but mistakes. However, since I've only been at this for a few months, I'll chalk them up as lessons learned.

That's how we learn.  I like the saying: experience is a hard teacher.  It gives the test 1st, and the lesson afterwards.  

You have plenty of company with the mistakes.  I've managed to reduce the number of my mistakes, but have a ways to go.  That's the beauty of digital.  Just delete what you don't like and try to figure out how you'd do it the next time to get better results.

Yesterday, I came home from work and saw another GBH in my yard. I've shot these plenty of times before, but I wanted to try out using a single, non-center focus point as was discussed here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53398552 which is something I've never tried before. It worked out pretty well, and I ended up with this, but I have plenty of others like it.

Very nicely done.  Sharp focus on subject, pleasant background, and nicely lit by the sun.  If you intend to print it you might want to try and leave a little more room on top so the crop during printing and the matte/frame won't cut off the bird's head.

But then he took off, and I wanted to get a good BIF pic of him (something I don't have), but I didn't think to switch back to all-points focus

I know others use this technique, but I feel strongly the best spot for focus is on the eye closest to you.

and ended up with this, which could have been an awesome shot, but ended up as OOF.

I like the pose you caught this guy in.  Wings outstretched.  It would be a stronger image if you could capture the bird coming towards you, instead of away, and as I mentioned above, leave enough room  for the borders.

Does anybody see any other mistakes I made besides the ones I pointed out myself ?

Really a lot more intense blue than the herons we have here.  I prefer your type.  Keep at it.  

Mike

dzba's gear list:dzba's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow