Nikon SB800/900 real GN value ...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ferguson
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?
Re: Nikon SB800/900 real GN value ...
In reply to Arnaud M, 8 months ago

Arnaud M wrote:

Is this due to the aging of the flash tube or can you confirm these values ​​?

I have neither flash meter nor SB900, but I had two SB8800's on my desk coming back from a shoot today. One has a brand new flash tube (at least Nikon said they swapped it), one a tube about 8-10 years old.

I broke out the manual and looked up the 50mm guide number (144 (feet) at 100 ISO) and measured off a wall 12 feet away. I did three exposures in a dark room - one at F13 (ok, not quite F12) with each flash on M1/1, and one with TTL. The histogram was identical on the two manual and just ever so slightly less bright on the TTL shot. All three looked correctly exposed (perhaps a tad over exposed, as the 12' was to a corner and the walls were closer).

Not scientific, but the guide number seemed to work in that regard, and the old/new had no apparent difference.

Both were with five NiMH LSD batteries, each probably about 60-80% charge based on shooting about 100 medium power shots today.

Sorry I can't help with the science, but the "gut check" says it all aligns for the SB800.

-- hide signature --

Comments welcomed on photos: http://www.captivephotons.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow