Show Your Snaps...March 31, 2014

Started Mar 31, 2014 | Discussions thread
seeker moc
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
Lessons Learned, advice appreciated
In reply to Digirame, Apr 2, 2014

It seems like the last few days I've made nothing but mistakes. However, since I've only been at this for a few months, I'll chalk them up as lessons learned.

First, on Saturday, once it finally stopped raining, I saw this guy and thought he would be a good enough subject for my first attempt at a macro shot, but then learned I really need to stop down the aperture to get enough DOF for macro. (This guy was tiny, only about 1 cm long; he's clinging onto a bug screen)

Yesterday, I came home from work and saw another GBH in my yard. I've shot these plenty of times before, but I wanted to try out using a single, non-center focus point as was discussed here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53398552 which is something I've never tried before. It worked out pretty well, and I ended up with this, but I have plenty of others like it.

But then he took off, and I wanted to get a good BIF pic of him (something I don't have), but I didn't think to switch back to all-points focus and ended up with this, which could have been an awesome shot, but ended up as OOF.

Then today, I got home and saw this guy out of my window. I thought it was more than bright enough outside, so I had my Tv set to 1/640 in case some birds came out. I didn't realize how much darker the shadows really are, didn't notice the underexposure warning, and ended up with this.

Amazingly, +4 exposure in Lightroom and some heavy noise reduction were able to get me this, which isn't good, but at least the shots weren't totally wasted. I'm glad I shoot RAW.

This one was actually properly exposed in the top third, but about 2 stops underexposed in the shadow. Unlike the previous shots, I think I was able to salvage this one enough to consider 'good'.

Does anybody see any other mistakes I made besides the ones I pointed out myself?

Does anybody have suggestions on how to deal with the shadows (like in the second and the last shots), besides -highlights +shadow in lightroom? Or maybe ways to work with the shadows and intentionally incorporate them into my composition?

seeker moc's gear list:seeker moc's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow