I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
mrbenji
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to Sam Rijver, 4 months ago

Sam Rijver wrote:

mrbenji wrote:

pe that helps...

It really does. And make sense too! I was very focused on the new camera and didn't really took the time needed to plan shots and settings. With this public failure posted and your great response I feel a lot better about the camera + 55-210 combination.

Thankyou very much!

You're quite welcome... hey, we've all been there! I'm no pro, either, and have made my share of poor exposure decisions.

From what I've read, the 55-210 is probably the 2nd-best ~200mm E-Mount zoom (behind the new FE-mount 70-200/4 that's 2X the price), especially in light bright enough to use it at @ f8 (ideally with low ISOs). I've flirted with the idea of getting one myself, but I always carry my tripod, so my bright, razor-sharp Minolta MD 70-210/4 Macro (manual lens) is more than enough for distant but reasonably-still subjects. I'm hoping my A6000's EVF will help me get better at using it for action shots in good light... we'll see.

My recommendation for shooting very still subjects (like landscapes, or flowers that aren't swaying at all) is as follows -- the custom settings on your A6000 should make it super easy to set these all once and return whenever you do a landscape. It looks complicated at first, but I've found this is a way easier way to get consistently good results:

• use a tripod and a cheap IR remote (or the smartphone remote app)
  • live histogram is on (mine is ALWAYS on)
  • SteadyShot stabilization off
  • Camera set for remote triggering
  • manual mode
  • ISO 100
  • lens at f8... choose a higher f-stop only for landscapes where there's stuff both close and far away you want in crisp focus, or an f-stop as low as it will go if you're trying to get something in the foreground sharp with the background blurred
  • adjust your shutter speed until the "hill" in your histogram is in the center or a bit towards the right
  • compose your shot
  • fire your shutter with the remote or the remote app

Once you've put the relevant settings on a custom program (including f8), taking a sharp landscape will be SO easy:

• select your "landscape" custom mode
  • decide whether you want an aperture different from f8 and if so, change it
  • dial the shutter speed to center your histogram
  • compose & take your shot with the remote

(ISO 200 is the minimum ISO on my NEX-5, this was shot with a manual Minolta MD 24/2.8 @ f11)

mrbenji's gear list:mrbenji's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow