Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tundracamper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786
Like?
Wide Angle: Zeiss 15/2.8 vs. Nikon 14-24/2.8
8 months ago

I know this topic has been discussed quite a bit.  However, I am trying to organize my thoughts on the important differences between these two lenses for really wide angle on a D700.  I have a 24PCE lens that I enjoy using with the T/S, when needed.  Although I would like to consider the 24/1.4G for the reduced depth-of-field, I don't feel that really gives me enough added functionality to justify the price since I have the 24PCE.  Plus, some folks claim it is not terribly sharp at f/1.4.  I think my resources right now are best used in going really wide.  In looking over multiple threads and reviews, I have narrowed down what I think are the important differences to these:

Nikon 14-24/2.8

- Seems to be very slightly sharper than Zeiss

- Zoom

- Can't use filters (at least not practically)

- Prone to flare

- Big

- Auto Focus

- Cheaper and less expensive

Zeiss 15/2.8

- Built extremely well

- Not nearly as prone to flare (true?)

- Accepts filters (though limited and expensive)

- Smaller

- Manual focus

Because I love primes and have a Zeiss 100/2 and appreciate the quality of that lens, my heart tells me to go with the Zeiss.  However, my head is telling me that the gain from the extra $1,000 may not really be worth it.

Most of the reviews seem to concentrate on sharpness and claim the Nikon edges out the Zeiss.  I haven't really found any reviews that discuss the flare issues in detail.  Is there much in flare resistance to be gained from the Zeiss that is really a common issue with the 14-24?  I am planning to go to Yellowstone later this year and am wondering if that flare resistance would come in handy.  Perhaps I'm just trying to talk myself into the Zeiss!

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow