Lightroom 5 question?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 question?
In reply to Jere Landis, 5 months ago

I don't use Map, Book, or Print, I don't do HDR or composite photos, nor do I use the catalog feature and I still find LR very useful.

I chose LR mainly because it has such a wealth of educational resources. If you want to know how to do something, you can pretty much google the question and find the answer. I figured I would be an occasional user and didn't want to have to relearn each time.

And I didn't study the manual, although there is a great, great resource that will show you how to use every slider with a 5 minute example: Lightroom 4 Complete Video Training with Hal Schmitt  This is FREE.  It says you have to buy, but if you look, the cost is $0.00.  And it's for LR4, but much the same is in LR5.

What I did instead was find a lightroom tutorial on youtube by a photographer (not Kost - who is excellent!) how to make a landscape photo pop, and then I tried the same thing with one of mine.  I quickly learned how to do the changes I needed (mainly exposure, shadows, clarity, gradient, healing, leveling..).   And then I read more about those options to use them better and fine tune them a bit -- but only as I needed or wanted.

I now use LR's compare feature feature since I might take several photos of the same scene and need to decide which I think is better.

Here is my new favorite photo.   LR let me lighten some shadows, bring out the red of the japanese maple a bit more, dim the highlights where the sky might have been burned out.   Knowing me, I will look at it again in a couple months and decide I did it all wrong.  Or learn something new about LR and try it on this image.  And the beauty of it is that I can since the raw is intact.

Anyhow, the learning curve is not that bad.  Figuring out that "Export" was the same as "Save" was th hardest part for me!

jan

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow