What is YOUR market like?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
PenguinPhotoCo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,044Gear list
Like?
Re: I answer your questions.
In reply to BrianYarvin, 5 months ago

and if every one of those book buyers had to come, physically to you in NJ, what affect do you think that would have on sales?
Ok, if someone bought 100 books you could go to them. How far would you be willing to go for the profit on 100 books?

See, I do portraiture. I can't do that over the net (ok sally, get really close to your webscam and smile!) or use fedex (just send yourselves over here by fedex for your eSession, ok?).

Think of it like gasoline, wine or a steak. You can get it withing what, 1/2 hour of your house? an hour maybe? It's unlikely you'll drive 2 hours to buy gas or rent a video or get your hair cut.

yes, you've probably done it at some point in your life, but realistically you do your shopping close to home. I get a number of customers because of that fact alone.

I'm not saying it's impossible to travel to the customers. I did that when I got started - I went to starbucks to meet bridal prospects for 3+ years. Booking rate was maybe 50%. On the advice of a wedding photog I remodeled part of my basement into a meeting room. Changed NOTHING ELSE and booking rates went to 90%.

If I did the bridal shows in the city, an hour from me to there, each way, it wouldn't be a terrible task. But to get brides to come here from there? Not in this town you don't.

I moved from teh suburbs to the outer edge of the county after HS. 14 miles on the hiway. Old friends, coworkers ALL said... "You live WAY OUT by the airport?"...they emphasized the way out.
I'm now 30 miles farther out yet.

And having many photogrraphy friends in the city...its no easier or better there. The old 'grass is greener' thing. And i don't live in a ghetto but in one of the top 3 zipcodes for income and wealth in the county.

I probably just have to accept that the business is as large as it's likely to get. I bet the local mcdonalds does less business than the one in the city too. It is what it is.

-- hide signature --

Don't seek advice from someone who is not where you want to be - CJ Lewis
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
???New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow