I want a wide lens for landscape + city/architecture

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 870Gear list
Like?
Re: I want a wide lens for landscape + city/architecture
In reply to Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson, 5 months ago

I don't have the 12-35, but I'm sure it's a very good zoom lens, and it's near the top of my list of potential future lenses, though quite a ways off.  For me, it would replace the 14-42 v.II that I own.  I don't have the 14-140 and doubt I will get one of those.

It seems to me that the 12-35 considerably overlaps with the lenses you do already have.  You have the 20 and 25 when you need fast and sharp, and the 14-140 when you want zoom convenience (missing only 12 and 13mm).

Since you want a wider lens for landscape and city architecture, either the 7-14 or the 9-18 would make more sense to me.  An ultrawide really opens up a lot of possibilities that you just don't have now, and both cover the 12-13 range you'd gain with the 12-35.

I have the 7-14 and like it a lot with my GX7.  I chose that one over the 9-18 because it's a bit wider, reputedly a bit sharper, and constant f/4.  However, the 9-18 might make a more sensible walk-about lens in a city with its 18mm long end, and it's cheaper, lighter, and takes filters on the front.

I'm sure the 12mm f/2 lens is very nice, but it's always seemed overly expensive to me, given that many give it somewhat lukewarm marks for IQ.  If I'm going to pay that much for a prime, I want it to have the quality of the 75.  Given the modest difference between f/2 and f/2.8, I'd take the 12-35 over the 12.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow